Mr Rebates

Mr. Rebates

Monday, March 8, 2010

Wife vs Mother?

Therapy....this is going to be my therapy.  A way for me to vent my frustrations of daily life.  A way to pound my fists and kick and scream like my three year old.  Because of course as adults we can not behave this way.  Well we can, but it's not socially acceptable. 

So the question of Wife vs Mother.  So the lines of Wife and Mother are becoming blurred.  Am I a Wife or Mother?  My question stems from a recent arguement I had with my husband.  I feel like i'm no longer a wife, I feel like just a mother.  Cooking,cleaning, laundring for not just two children, but for three.  The third being my husband.  So do men really want a wife or just an extended version of their mother?  Sick to think about really.  Men wanting a wife who is their mother, who treats them like a son.  But think about it.  Isn't that what we do?  We take care of them like a mother would.  So really where is the line between Wife and Mother? 

Many of the behaviors we have as adults stems from behaviors we viewed growing up.  So what kind of example am I setting for my son?  By doing everything for him and catering to his every need will ultimately teach him that women are there to take care of men?  My mother's generation was expected to continue the tradition of catering to a man's every need, no matter what.  However my mother also taught my brothers to cook and gave them the skills to take care of themselves.  She taught me that it was ok to speak my mind and to be an independent woman.  That I didn't necessarily need a man to feel complete. 

So if men want an extension of their mother, then my father pick the farthest thing from his.  And my husband defintely picked the farthest from his mother.  But why are we still expected to fullfill those requirements of a mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment